Total Articles 170 till date. Search for 'WORKSHEETS' within blog

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

English Grammar Worksheet Do as Directed

Do as Directed



Rewrite the following sentences according to the instructions given after each, and making other changes that may be necessary.

1. It is probable that he will never come back. (Begin: In …)
2. He said to me, ‘Where are you going?’ (Begin: He asked me …)
3. As soon as the chief guest had arrived the play began. (Begin: No sooner ….)
4. I was surprised at his behaviour. (Begin: His …)
5. He will certainly succeed. (Begin: He is …)
6. He is the best student in the class. (Use better instead of best)
7. He is too weak to stand up without help.
8. He tucked the gun under his arm and rushed towards the bridge. (End: … his arm.)
9. We were late. Consequently, we missed the train. (Rewrite with as or since)
10. Though I had a headache I enjoyed the movie. (Rewrite with in spite of)
11. The meeting had to be postponed due to the chairman’s illness. (Rewrite with because)
12. If we don’t hurry up, we will miss our flight. (Rewrite with otherwise)
13. After John arrived, we began our meeting. (Rewrite with upon)
14. It was cold but we went swimming. (Rewrite with although)
15. The tea was so hot that I could not drink it. (Change into a simple sentence)
16. He is too arrogant to listen to advice. (Change into a complex sentence)
17. He worked hard that he might pass the examination. (Change into a simple sentence)
18. He is too stupid to handle such a difficult situation. (Remove too)
19. John is the tallest boy in the class. (Use the comparative form of the adjective)
20. I could not do it even if I tried. (Change into a simple sentence)
21. No sooner did I hear the gunshot than I rushed to the spot. (Rewrite using as soon as.)
22. Hardly had I solved one problem when another cropped up. (Rewrite using no sooner …than)
23. Only trained graduates need to apply. (Use none instead of only)
24. Work hard or you will fail. (Change into a complex sentence)

Answers
1. In all probability he will never come back.
2. He asked me where I was going.
3. No sooner had the chief guest arrived than the play began.
4. His behaviour surprised me.
5. He is certain to succeed.
6. He is better than any other student in the class.
7. He is so weak that he cannot stand up without help.
8. He rushed towards the bridge with the gun tucked under his arm.
9. As we were late we missed the train. / Since we were late, we missed the train.
10. In spite of having a headache I enjoyed the movie.
11. The meeting had to be postponed because the chairman was ill.
12. We must hurry up. Otherwise, we will miss the flight.
13. Upon John’s arrival, we began our meeting.
14. Although it was cold, we went swimming.
15. The tea was too hot for me to drink.
16. He is so arrogant that he will not listen to advice.
17. He worked hard to pass the examination.
18. He is so stupid that he cannot handle such a situation.
19. John is taller than any other boy in the class.
20. Despite trying, I could not do it.
21. As soon as I heard the gunshot I rushed to the spot.
22. No sooner had I solved one problem than another cropped up.
23. None but trained graduates need to apply.
24. If you do not work hard, you will fail.