Total Articles 170 till date. Search for 'WORKSHEETS' within blog

Monday, March 20, 2017

Commonly used Phrases

Commonly Used Phrases


Are you kidding?
Meaning: Used when someone says something surprising or that seems as if it could not be serious or true “The test is tomorrow.”

Are you serious?
Meaning:  A question asked in disbelief with an extremely sarcastic tone questioning someone’s actions or statement. It is a way to point out someone’s stupidity in the form of a question.

Total disbelief or disappointment in how someone did or said something. 

Fender Bender.
Meaning: a minor collision between motor vehicles.
"he was involved in a fender bender while driving without a license"

Don’t tell me!
Meaning: used to request that someone not give one information because one wants to guess what it is “I know the answer.” “Don't tell me. I want to guess.” 2 informal —used to show that one already knows what someone is going to say especially because he or she often says such things “I have a favour to ask of you.”

Goose bumps.
Meaning: A prickly feeling related to having bumps on one's skin due to fear, excitement, or cold. (*Typically: get ~ have ~ give someone .) When I hear that old song, I get goose bumps. I never have goose pimples, but my teeth chatter when it's cold.

Stay/ Be/ Keep in touch.
Meaning: 1.In communication with someone I'm sorry we haven't been in touch over the past few years. We stay in close touch with the New York office. How can I get in touch with your sister?
2. Having recent knowledge about something I try to keep in touch with the latest developments in the music scene. A president must stay in touch to know what citizens want or need.

Easier said than done.
Meaning: something that you say when something seems like a good idea but it would be difficult to do. The doctor says I should stop smoking but that's easier said than done.

Keep an eye.
Meaning: to watch someone or something; to monitor someone or something closely. I have my eye on the apple tree. When the apples ripen, I'll harvest them. Please keep an eye on the baby. Will you please keep your eye on my house while I'm on vacation?

Who cares!
Meaning: Does anyone really care?; It is of no consequence. John: I have some advice for you. It will make things easier for you. Bob: Who cares? John: You might. Sue: You missed a spot shaving. Fred: Who cares?

Know in & out / Know inside out.
Meaning: The detailed or complicated facts of something:
I know how to use computers, but I don't really understand the ins and outs of how they work.